Working towards economic recovery
Advisory Group report published.
Economy Secretary Fiona Hyslop has welcomed the recommendations of the Advisory Group on Economic Recovery.
The group, led by Benny Higgins, was tasked with recommending solutions to ensure transition towards a greener, net-zero and wellbeing economy, and to advise on measures to address different challenges the economy will face as Scotland recovers from the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
The group’s 25 recommendations, which will now be considered in detail by the Scottish Government and its partners, include:
- an urgent need to access low cost debt requires an accelerated review of the Fiscal Framework, and a significant increase in access to capital investment to support an investment-led recovery
- a Scottish jobs guarantee, in partnership between business and government, should be introduced to address unemployment, with refocused skills strategies and decisive steps to align teaching and learning in universities and colleges to the needs of business
- prioritisation of sector plans to deliver a green recovery, where the coincidence of emissions reductions, the development of natural capital and job creation are the strongest
- critical investment in the country’s digital infrastructure to improve connectivity, reduce inequalities and build the country’s resilience
- urgent action to develop a stronger relationship between business and government on the strategy for Scotland’s economic recovery.
To find out more and to read the report, click here(this will open in a new window).