Joined Up for Young People
The Joined Up for Young People (JUfYP) strategy launched in 2021 led by Capital City Partnership to develop collaboration across youth provision in direct response to the Scottish Government’s Young Person's Guarantee Activity Plan(this will open in a new window).
The Young Person’s Guarantee
The Young Person's Guarantee is a Scottish Government initiative to improve opportunities for 16 to 24 year olds in the wake of the economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. The overall goal of the Young Person's Guarantee is to ensure that every young person has access to higher/further education, formal volunteering, training, an apprenticeship or fair employment.
In Edinburgh, the Young Person's Guarantee is coordinated by a dedicated team at Capital City Partnership in partnership with the City of Edinburgh Council. Edinburgh's Young Person's Guarantee is based on the development of the existing Edinburgh Guarantee(this will open in a new window) and is delivered locally through the creation of Joined Up for Young People (JUfYP) Strategy, with three key strands:
- Strategic leadership and commissioning of new services - Monitor and coordinate activity across the Youth Employability Partnership and Joined Up for Young People Network.
- Stakeholder partnerships through JUfYP network - Work with partner organisations to develop, support, and coordinate opportunities (employment, volunteering, training, and higher/further education) for young people across Edinburgh.
- Young person referral service - Work directly with young people, supporting them to access the JUFYP Network and Labour Market opportunities.
The Young Person's Guarantee team additionally map and monitor existing and newly commissioned youth provision across Edinburgh. The Young Person's Guarantee team coordinate the Youth Employment Action Plan (YEAP), tracking all opportunities for young people in one place and making it easier for referral partners to source the most suitable destination for their young people. Additionally, the YPG team review the Youth Strategic Skills Pipeline on a quarterly basis, ensuring provision is aligned to the needs of Edinburgh's young people.
- Youth Employment Action Plan (YEAP) (updated 18 January 2022)
- YEAP - Accessible Version (Provision mapped across SSP stages)
- Youth Strategic Skills Pipeline
- Recruitment Incentives Overview (this will open in a new window)(for employers)
Employers or organisations seeking to hire young people in Edinburgh can hire via the Joined Up for Young People network and can access support through the Young Person's Guarantee team. The Recruitment Incentives Overview above covers existing funding incentives, with more detail and further information available in the Employer Guide to Creating Fair Work for Edinburgh's Young People. To access this guide, contact the Young Person Guarantee Employment and Volunteering Officer.
JUfYP Forum and Steering Group
The JUfYP forum is an independent network of youth providers – run by and for providers through a steering group. The forum is held quarterly and brings together youth employability, education, and training partners to share best practice, keep up to date with the latest policy, and build relationships.
|Susie McIntyre||Canongate Youth||Chair|
|Adele Hill||Access to Industry||Co-Chair|
|Lucy Pearson||Capital City Partnership||Steering Group Member|
|Claire Gibson||Developing the Young Workforce||Steering Group Member|
|Gavin Edmonds||Dunedin Canmore||Steering Group Member|
|Stuart McMillan||ENABLE||Steering Group Member|
|Caroline McGhee||Impact Arts||Steering Group Member|
|Marianne Sellers||Move On||Steering Group Member|
|Fraser Taylor||Venture Trust||Steering Group Member|
For interest in being part of the Steering Group, please get in touch with Susie McIntyre, JUfYP Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming Forum dates
- Wednesday 2nd February 2022, 10am – 12pm
All youth providers are invited to attend the forum. Please register on Eventbrite here(this will open in a new window).
- Lucy Pearson – Young Person’s Guarantee Manager, CCP
- Vicki Lorimer – CEC Paid Work Placements
- Calum Nicol – FUSE
- Linda Gibb – DWP Kickstart Placements
- Teams recording(this will open in a new window).
JUfYP’s monthly newsletter shares the latest updates on youth employability in Edinburgh, including network news, funding opportunities and youth opportunities in employment, training, education, and volunteering.
If you would like to sign up to receive the JUfYP Newsletter, please complete the form below.
Get in touch
Stay connected with JUfYP on Twitter @JoinedUpforYoungPeople(this will open in a new window).
Get in touch with the YPG team (email email@example.com) if you would like to refer a young person, update the YEAP, or find out more about JUfYP.