Joined Up for Young People
The Joined Up for Young People (JUfYP) strategy launched in 2021 led by Capital City Partnership to develop collaboration across youth provision in direct response to the Scottish Government’s Young Person's Guarantee Activity Plan(this will open in a new window).
The Young Person’s Guarantee
The Young Person's Guarantee is a Scottish Government initiative to improve opportunities for 16 to 24 year olds in the wake of the economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. The overall goal of the Young Person's Guarantee is to ensure that every young person has access to higher/further education, formal volunteering, training, an apprenticeship or fair employment.
In Edinburgh, the Young Person's Guarantee is coordinated by Capital City Partnership in partnership with the City of Edinburgh Council. Edinburgh's Young Person's Guarantee is based on the development of the existing Edinburgh Guarantee(this will open in a new window) and is delivered locally through the creation of Joined Up for Young People (JUfYP) Strategy, with three key strands:
- Strategic leadership and commissioning of new services - Monitor and coordinate activity across the Youth Employability Partnership and Joined Up for Young People Network.
- Stakeholder partnerships through JUfYP network - Work with partner organisations to develop, support, and coordinate opportunities (employment, volunteering, training, and higher/further education) for young people across Edinburgh.
- Young person referral service - Work directly with young people, supporting them to access the JUFYP Network and Labour Market opportunities.
The Young Person's Guarantee Team map and monitor existing and newly commissioned youth provision across Edinburgh. The Young Person's Guarantee Team coordinate the Youth Employment Action Plan (YEAP), tracking all opportunities for young people in one place and making it easier for referral partners to source the most suitable destination for their young people. Additionally, the YPG team review the Youth Strategic Skills Pipeline on a quarterly basis, ensuring provision is aligned to the needs of Edinburgh's young people.
Employers or organisations seeking to hire young people in Edinburgh can access support through our Young Person's Guarantee partners:
Edinburgh’s Employer Recruitment Incentives(this will open in a new window) (EERI) is funded by the Scottish Government. Employers from all sectors are eligible for EERI, and employers can receive up to £6,000 for newly created jobs or apprenticeships for young people aged between 16-24. The fund intends to help with the costs of recruiting and employing someone who fits the criteria.
Graduate Career Advantage Scotland(this will open in a new window) (GCAS) is an initiative which supports recent, eligible graduates living in Scotland to find rewarding employment. We offer careers support and access to high-quality paid internships by collaborating with employers, universities, and other key agencies.
JUfYP Forum and Steering Group
The JUfYP forum is an independent network of youth providers – run by and for providers through a steering group. The forum is held quarterly and brings together youth employability, education, and training partners to share best practice, keep up to date with the latest policy, and build relationships.
|Susie McIntyre||Canongate Youth||Chair|
|Adele Hill||Access to Industry||Co-Chair|
|Kate Kelman||Capital City Partnership||Steering Group Member|
|Clare Gibson||Developing the Young Workforce||Steering Group Member|
|Gavin Edmonds||Dunedin Canmore||Steering Group Member|
|William Anderson||Skills Development Scotland||Steering Group Member|
|Ursula Edmond||Department of Work and Pensions||Steering Group Member|
|Marianne Sellers||Move On||Steering Group Member|
|Fraser Taylor||Venture Trust||Steering Group Member|
|Lucy Pearson||City of Edinburgh Council||Steering Group Member|
For interest in being part of the Steering Group, please get in touch with Susie McIntyre, JUfYP Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming Forum date:
- Thursday 2nd of of March 2023 - Venue: Canongate Youth, 6 Infirmary st, Edinburgh, EH1 1LT
All youth providers are invited to attend the forum. Please register for the March forum on Eventbrite(this will open in a new window).
- Presentation Slides
- Feedback and discussion: Connections board - Comments and feedback - What can you bring to the forum?
- Presentation Slides
- A message from the Ukrainian Community Centre(this will open in a new window)
- Lucy Pearson – Young Person’s Guarantee Manager, CCP
- Vicki Lorimer – CEC Paid Work Placements
- Calum Nicol – FUSE
- Linda Gibb – DWP Kickstart Placements
- Teams recording(this will open in a new window).
Get in touch
Stay connected with JUfYP on Twitter @JoinedUpforYoungPeople(this will open in a new window).
Get in touch with the YPG team (email email@example.com) if you would like to refer a young person, update the YEAP, or find out more about JUfYP.